Tuesday, December 9, 2008

We're all the same

Many people may not understand or even agree with what i'm trying to accomplish here in Nigeria. In fact, the O&G consultant i worked under during my internship is convinced i'm wasting my time and support services for women after a miscarriage are unnecessary. I, on the other hand am convinced that they are.

I remember a story recounted by an author and preacher, Walter Trobisch in an old book i fished out from my mum's box not too long ago. While preaching in a church in a country in Africa, he used, as a preaching aid, a song from the musical “Fiddler on the roof” by Joseph Stein. After the service, an aged woman (using a translator), quoted a line in the song back to him, saying that it had touched her in a special way. He stated, “if a line from a modern American musical with a Jewish background, taking place in Russia, touches an almost seventy-year old widow who grew up in the African bush- the hearts of people must be the same all over the world. The differences are on the surfaces. Deep down there is nothing but that naked human heart – longing, fearing, hoping – the same wherever it beats”.

It is my earnest conviction that the results of this work will go a long way in healing hearts. I pray it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment