Thursday, August 27, 2009

An Important Relationship

I read something credited to John Selby and it really got me thinking. he was talking about how your relationship with yourself is one of the most important relationships in your life and how we need to decide what kind of friend we want to be to ourselves.

I felt deeply convicted as I thought about this because in the first three months or so after my miscarriage I was the worst possible friend to myself: I constantly dredged up all the things I did that may have been responsible for the loss even when I was told it wasn't my fault. I started over-eating and then berated myself for all the weight I had gained to the point that I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror. I was a judgemental and critical friend instead of being an encouraging and nurturing friend. The funny thing is, I wouldn't do that to anybody!

If you are in a dark place right now and you feel all alone, like no one understands, try to be understanding and forgiving of yourself for your own sake. Love yourself; be the kind of friend to yourself that you wish your partner, your mother, your girlfriend, your sister would be.

We owe it to ourselves to be our own best friend and not our own worst enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment